Pizza Crust with Chickpea and Teff Flour ( gluten free, vegan )
Could you live without pizza? Yeah, I thought so. Me neither.
Did you know that you can eat pizza even though your diet is gluten- and dairy free?
Eating healthy is often a matter of choice and imagination. Pizza can be healthy and tasty at the same time.
TRUST ME. I know what Im talking about.
I have made many gluten free pizza crusts and I have loved them all. They have all been crispy and super tasty. The reason I wanted to share this recipe with you is that I used teff flours in it.
Teff flour has a unique flavor and it is 100% whole grain. Teff grows in Ethiopia and Eritrea and is therefor a staple grain in cuisines there.
It has a very mild and nutty flavor which I love by the way. It is packed with amino acids, protein, calcium and iron. In one word it’s a super grain!
I always go crazy when I come across a new gluten free grain/flour that is super healthy and can be used in various baked goods from pizza crusts to cookies.
Is this clear enough? If not here’s a few more reasons for you to try my new pizza crust recipe. The crust is:
- gluten free
- high in fiber
- versatile ( you can make pan pizza or pizza bread too)
- tasty and delicious
- you can enjoy it with a good conscience
2 cup warm water
1 tsp sea salt
1 sachet dry yeast
2 smashed garlic cloves
1 cup teff flour
1/2 cup chickpea flour
1/2 cup corn flour
1 1/2 cup gluten free all purpose flour
1/2 cup tapioca starch
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
The dough makes 2 medium pizzas
- Put the water in a bowl
- Mix the dry ingredients together
- Start adding the flour mix into the water and whisk well until all the flours are used (I always use my hands or a wooden spoon )
- Make sure to mix until the dough feels nice and smooth
- Add the olive oil and give a whisk
- Let the dough set for 5-10min
- Half the dough and pat the it with your hands/fingers into pizza shape or use a roller ( use a baking sheet under )
- Let the crust set and rise well ( 15-30 min depending on room temperature )
- Prebake the crusts for 12-15 min in 225 C then add the pizza sauce and toppings you prefer and bake until ready.
If you prefer a pizza with fresh toppings like I did, just add the pizza sauce no other toppings to the pizza when putting in the oven second time. Add the toppings right after you take crust out of the oven.
I used pesto (both green and red ) , bell pepper, sun dried tomatoes, red chinese cabbage, avocado, basil, jalapeños and some vegan cheese as toppings.
The pizza sauce is also homemade and I will probably share the recipe with you some day. It’s an old staple of my kitchen.
I hope you are happy with the recipe and I would love to hear from you if you try it!
Feel free to leave comments about anything! It would be nice to connect more with you!
It’s Friday today so … what can I say but Happy Friday and make some awesome delicious pizzas! Enjoy!